Students Today

I came across the following video a couple of weeks ago, and Melanie Smith, reading teacher at South Salem, shared it with me again after seeing it at the VSRA conference. It’s only 4 minutes long and definitely provides plenty of food for thought.

[kml_flashembed movie="http://youtube.com/v/_A-ZVCjfWf8" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

I completely understand how difficult it can be to provide students with the types of technologies referred to in the video with the current emphasis on SOLs and NCLB. By working together, we can provide students with more opportunities to show what they have learned by creating their own digital projects such as podcasts, digital stories, blogs, and slideshows.

Tina and I hope to create a similar video using Salem elementary students that we will share with you next fall. It will be very interesting to see how our students’ comments compare with those of the students in the YouTube video above.

2 thoughts on “Students Today

1. Amazing! and a little scary with a lot to keep up with as it changes so quickly:) Thanks for sharing and I agree it will be interesting to see what our students will have to say.

2. We will face many challenges in education in the years ahead. It shows how important it is that teachers get lots of training in technology areas to try to keep current with the swiftly changing technology scene. It also shows how quickly our culture is changing and that impacts the needs of the children in our classroom. I’m glad we have you to help us sift through so much change.